CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Parallels in Ultimate

I had an interesting thought today and I thought I would share it.

In the wake of the 2007 club championships I have realized some things that I find really cool. Take the recent champions, Sockeye. Forget about how dominate they were/are and take a look at their roster, who do they have? A lot of superstars, but one in particular, Tim Gehret. Now this kid is just the balls, absolutely ridiculous. Now the reason he came up in my head is that he has the chance to do something that only 1 other person has done, win a college national championship, the callahan, a club championship and a world title. Few people in the world can even enter the realm of this achievement and TG has 3 of the 4 now and with this national championship it will be possible for him to get the world title. He is in good company in that if Sockeye remains at the top for the next year, Alex Nord will also have the ability to get all 4. Aside from this though, I thought about how Tim Gehret is similar to the other player that has all 4, Fortunant Mueller, or Forch. The similarities are actually staggering and really amazing when you think about it.

First off, Forch was a national champ and callahan winner at Brown University. He was there from 1997-2000 and won nationals in 2000. He got his national championship (2000) and the callahan (1999) in different years, but has them none the less. Now TG is more of the same. Won a national championship for Florida and won the callahan in 2006. Ok, who cares?

After college they both went on to join dynasty ultimate teams. Forch played for DoG in 1999 before he graduated and was on the team that won their last national championship and has played in Boston since. Tim moved from Florida where he played with Vicious Cycle and is now on Sockeye. I doubt most folks will say that Sockeye now is as dominant as DoG then, but they are at least comparable. They also have a regional rival within 2 hours (DoG - NYNY, Sockeye - Furious) who seem to be the only team that can get the better of them when it matters.

Take a closer look. They are both very similar players, both in play and in appearance. They are both smaller players at 5'10", they are both "all around" players meaning that they are very versatile and can cut as easily as they can handle. They are both work horses in that they run their opponent into the ground and they are both very, very good defenders. And they both have single digit numbers. Well that last one really doesn't matter. I also want to say that their height is really a thing of interest for me because there are very few players out there that can dominate at this level on both sides of the disc yet not be in the 6'2"-6'5" range that you see of a lot today. Zipp is another good example as is Dan Heijman and most of Stanford.

Now back to Forch and TG. I think this comparison is really useful because it can help predict the future. I believe that Tim Gehret is going to be a club juggernaut. I was watching the ultivillage ECC footage of the Sockeye/Buzz Bullets final. In the first point or so, Sammy CK makes an UNREAL incut layout grab. Now, what most won't realize is that immediately after getting this layout in-cut catch (around a speedy buzz bullet defender) he mistakenly threw it away while attempting a dump to Sam O'Brien. However, as if someone had scripted it, TG gets a HUGE layout catch block 3 throws later around his opponent. It was as if he could will his team to victory and would succeed despite anyone else's play (in a team game no less). This is not unlike what Forch is known for on Boston. After watching the Boston/GOAT regional final, I began to realize why Forch is so revered in New England. For most folks across the country, Forch is not all that well known, I didn't know of him until I got here. However, he is a local hero in New England and being in Connecticut where he used to live, people really, really, really like this guy and I am beginning to see why. In that game, Forch made an unreal D that was very similar to the one I previously mentioned. Huge layout catch block between 2 defenders, on double game point no less, followed up by an enormous layout goal to win the game, the regional title, and trip to Sarasota.

So with this comparison, I think that Tim will be the next Forch. Now this is also interesting because with Forch's emergence into the club circuit his team performance has dwindled (albeit barely). After Forch joined the team in 1999, Boston went on to win the club title in San Diego. This allowed them to go to Germany where they won gold. However, since then Boston has yet to repeat, even a finals appearance. Now Sockeye has just won its 3rd national title in 4 years. Not as good as 6 in a row but hey, pretty freaking good. Does this mean that Sockeye's performance will falter as well? I definitely do not believe so, but it’s an interesting comparison. I think Boston is a fantastic team and their lack of championships is mostly due to the rest of the country improving, not Boston sucking. In any event, I think that Sockeye has aligned themselves nicely and I really am looking forward to seeing what Tim can do in Seattle over the next 5-10 years (if he stays).

This also got me thinking a lot about other players out there that one could make an analogous statement about. The first one that comes to mind, in the wake of TG and Forch is Ben Wiggins and Jim Parinella. They are also both extremely similar in the ultimate community. Jim is a competitor and a true student/teacher of the game. The guy wrote a book, not to mention won 6 national championships, a world title and now a masters championship. Ben is also a fierce competitor and brilliant student of the game. He has traveled across the country giving seminars about ultimate subjects such as marking and coaching and has worked as hard to improve the ultimate community around him. They also seem to be very cerebral players that rely on their strategic approach to the game, rather than just athleticism. Parinella basically invented the idea of taking what the defense gives you (a game plan that every NE player tries to utilize). I also remember hearing about Ben spending a lot of time working meticulously on intricate parts of the game such as release points. With this sort of comparison it is easy to see that they are not necessarily fantasy all stars, but none the less still vital components of their respective programs. I am sure their eyes for the game are the best in the business and I am sure that they both offer extreme expertise on the sideline. It is also worth mentioning that they are also of similar build at 5’10”. However, I think that their playing presence is slightly different. Parinella seems to be more of an offensive AND defensive player where Ben is a huge offensive impact factor. I would say that at 26(?) Ben is well on his way to writing a book or at least achieving the same sort of accolades that Parinella can boast. I am very interested in wondering what the relationship between Forch and Parinella, and Wiggins and TG is and if they are/will be similar. I also wonder if Wiggins is half as good at Goaltimate as Parinella is.

Another other example out there that I think is equally interesting is Richter and Mike Grant. They were both very good in college, Josh won the Callahan at Colorado and Mike Grant helped build UBC to be the program it is now. However, I think that their best performance in the game was at the club level. I think that Richter is very good but probably was not the best player the year he won the Callahan (2004). I think Chase was. However, as he has matured he has really shown himself to be a leader on Bravo at all fronts. Intensity, work ethic, defense, offense, the works. In watching Ultivillage footage of him over the last few years, it appears that Richter is definitely the rock that Bravo guys can depend on and draw inspiration from. Beau, Jolian, and Popiel might make the big skies but Richter will keep every guy motivated to beat their man to the spot and not quit till the game is over. Chicken comments on this on Disc 2 in an interview. When I first saw this interview I was didn't really take notice because Richter was part of a regional rival but after watching him in the 2006 open series, the college Nationals showcase game and now in 2007, I am very confident he is as good as he is intense and I think Bravo utilizes it a lot. I think Mike is very similar for Furious. Over the last 10 years or so, he has gone from a youthful phenom, to a true leader exhibiting focus, intensity and consistency. It always seems like he has his head in the game, never commits mental mistakes and really is a person that his teammates can depend on. I believe that this role is also huge because it allows the younger players on the team to play more relaxed considering they have a bail out, or someone they know will make a difference, taking some pressure off. I think Richter will continue to establish himself in this way and what is more interesting is that he is a serious veteran for Bravo despite the fact that he is only 25(?). His youth is definitely as big an asset as his skill and intensity. I think with his presence (not to mention the 10+ guys they have over 6’10”) will help keep Bravo strong and potentially a national championship team in the future.

Another example I think is cool, is Chicken and Lugsdin. These two are very "Poster Boy" esk players. They are both very well spoken, very inteligent, and very talented. Chicken, who was a molecular biologist at Colorado, is a very solid and smart player not to mention an articulate person on Bravo. Always seems to be the guy talking to Rob and in person he is really nice and approachable. In the 2 or 3 conversations I have had with him he seems like a really grounded person, something that I wasn't expecting for a national champ and club all star. Lugsdin is more of the same. Physics major at McGill, very nice guy, very smart and approachable. Lugsdin is a bit taller but they both play good disc on all fronts. Have great throws, great composure, defense, fundamentals, leadership skills and best of all they aren’t overly arrogant (at least not in my experience). They seem to respect their opponents and the game itself, something that I wish more players did. Also Lugsdin is #9, Chicken is #10. Although I gotta say the blond goatee and hair-do Chicken is sporting is suspect, as is the pink hat he used to play in.

There are a lot more examples that I find interesting but I won’t go into too much more detail. I think that Nick Handler will become a player similar to Will Deaver. They are both springy as hell, ridiculously tight defenders, and seem to always have a mental advantage on their oppenent. Jacob Goldstein has the potential to be the next Jeff Cruikshank. They are both gifted offfensive players, have exceptional throws, and play surprisingly good defense given their over shadowing handling abilities. Kurt Gibson could be the next Damien Scott because he is tall, fast, and has basically every tool in the game to pull from. Both players seem to control the game at will and seem to play better with more pressue on them. I will say that I don’t know what Kurt is like on the party front and I hear Damien is one of the best.

I also find that if you look at ultimate like this you can potentially see where the game is going and what one can potentially expect. Not to say that these players have to succeed in the ways that some have in the past, but I think it is similar to comparing A-Rod to Hank Aaron, or LeBron to Jordan. Another reason why I bring these things up is that in my opinion a lot of people out there think disc is different across the country (or maybe its just me). The west coast is known as a more flashy/tall game and the east is more conservative with smaller players. However, the game is changing. Players are moving across the country and playing disc in a variety of cities. The country is shrinking and the play is getting better everywhere. Teams like Madison in the North or Florida in the South, Stanford in the NW, Brown in the NE, and so on. However, if you look at these sorts of players you can see that the kinds of players out there and the impact they have on their respective teams is uniform across the country. Perhaps the influence of ultimate is moving westward from the east (New Jersey, where it was born) across the country. I suppose the game in 20 years will become more homogeneous or maybe I am just spouting out the things that make good programs and its the same and will be forever. I hope that it’s the former. I wasn't alive in the early 1900s to see football, baseball, hockey or basketball become the sports they are now, but I am at ground zero for ultimate and the next 30 years are gonna be really cool.

just my thoughts

match diesel

11 comments:

Sean said...

Nice post for parallel day- 11/11

I was with you on the TG/Forch comparison for a while. I dont see as much for the others.

My understanding is that Paramello WAS a dominant athlete in his hay-day while pure athleticism has not been Wiggins' vehicle for success in Ultimate.

I am admittedly not very familiar with Furious (I've only played them once). But, for a comparison with MG I would lean toward someone who is feared for their throws than Richter. The scary thing about MG is that if he gets the disc coming in, he's going to put a beautiful throw out to another runner. I think Jolian or Gibson are more suited for this comparison. Also, at least in the last couple of years, it seems that Lugsdin is more the vocal leader for FG.

For a Shank comparison wouldnt you look to someone who starts their career as a dominant behind-the-disc player and then moves out to become dominant downfield? I wouldnt pick Jacob for this. His talent is in his quickness around the disc and moving the disc quickly. When I think of Shank, I think of crazy left release points and throwing the BOMB.

Andrew Brown (SZ) might be a consideration...incredibly talented around the disc, but opportunistic with the deep cut.

The Pulse said...

how on earth do you get from Boston to New York in less than two hours?

Match said...

Oh yeah, at Yale we have lamborghinis and skull and bones have this sick way of doding the cross bronx express way.

I'm retarded

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said...

Fortunat and Justin Safdie both won the Callahan at Brown (1999 and 2000). They also both won the following tournaments, all within about 370 days:
1999 WFDF World Club Championships
1999 UPA Club Championships
2000 UPA College Championships
2000 WFDF World Championships

bl said...

A much better parallel for Jim P (a dominant cutter and dynamic offensive player and also someone that gives a lot back to the game) would be Sam CK.

One of the absolute (if not THE) best offensive players in the game right now, coaches and helps out with tons of youth ultimate in Seattle, etc, etc. Has captained Sockeye for the last 5 years and is a quiet, dependable, cerebral leader. Pretty good parallel, I think.

Match said...

I suppose I can only write about whats out there. I know that Sammy is a great player, I just didn't know about his off the field stuff. He seems like a more behind the scenes kid of player that makes the rest of his team succeed (while making a few great plays and his patented jump forward catch http://i.pbase.com/u35/elsinger/upload/22888621.IMG_0132.JPG), kinda like Damien. Wiggins seems a bit more in the lime light and I feel like that draws similar parallels to what Parinella has become now. Any reason why Sammy planned MLU at Potlatch in 2006, yet wasn't a participant? I know he is on the roster but I have the footage, I never saw him play

As far as Safdie is concerned, I know he won the callahan in 2000. I am embarassed that I didn't know he played for DoG back in '99, my apologies. Seems like a great player if he also has all 4 not to mention that he is currently on Jam.

I also think that this, once again, is why there is not enough consolidated, objective, and credible ultimate information out there.

Gambler said...

Just so you know, Ben Wiggins rocks at Goaltimate. All those release points and footwork stuff that he works on for ultimate are perfect for the small spaces of goalty.

Nathan said...

A couple more guys who are pretty close are:
Moses Rifkin - won College Nats in 2000, Worlds in 2000, runner-up for Callahan in 2001, Club Nationals the last 2 years. Also won the Farricker Award the first year.

Josh Ziperstein - won Callahan, College Nationals, and World Games in 2005. Still needs to win Club Nationals to join this elite group (if you include World Games).

These guys have done this in spite of being coached by me for several years...all the more impressive.

I am sure there are guys from other schools who are close also, I just happen to know the Brown guys well.

parinella said...

Also look at Ultimate History Book, particularly "Triple Crown" and "Quadruple" stuff, and cross-reference the Callahan winner list, which is surely googlable.

I've thought of Wiggins as a good parallel for me, not for the style of play, but for contributing to the game at a national level and for being a sort of spokesman for the game (whether or not the game itself agreed to accept either of us as a spokesman) and one of the faces of the franchise. And I'm sure if you catch either of us in private when we're drunk, we'd tell you we're really the best player on the team. And my fantasy league stats used to be pretty good, too. In later years, I became more of a possession receiver, but I was nearing 40 by that time. I've had different skills at different times in my career, so I'm not really sure which "me" to draw a parallel to.

I loved playing with Forch, other than the occasional time at practice where he would hit me with a cheap foul and I would get mad at him. He cut similarly to how I did, so I felt extremely comfortable cutting for or throwing to him. And I feel that he has probably learned a lot from playing with me, even if I never really specifically taught him anything. He's a very smart and high percentage player other than his propensity to throw deep a little too much when the offense is struggling.

Peachy's dad said...

Parinella wrote: "And I'm sure if you catch either of us in private when we're drunk, we'd tell you we're really the best player on the team."

I'm not sure either of those qualifiers (private, drunk) would be required.