CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Best College Team Logo

So I thought I would try my hand at this poll thing on my blog. I have seen stuff like this before, lets see how it pans out. Hopefully teams are OK with me using their logo. I am more than happy to share profits with them, that is if I a made any money on this thing.

I wasn't exactly sure how to do this without being too subjective. I figured I would go with the teams at nationals this past year because it is a fairly decent selection and I can't be yelled at for leaving folks out. I will list the logos here and the voting will be to the right.


Wisconsin
Now I am not the biggest fan of Wisconsin, but their logo is amazing. It looks kinda like the Chernabog from Disney's "Fantastia". If you ever get the chance, check out Wisconsin at tournies. They slap this logo on just about everything including skin.

Definitely one of the more feared logos out there. I like their two headed eagle thing on their jerseys better, but this seems to be the logo that is synonymous with the team. Some pretty heavy hitters have worn this and I think it's simplicity really speaks for the team's continued success.

I am not sure if I like Stanford's logo last year. I have liked years past better. i think their logo in 2005 was pretty stellar but thats just me. The character is chinese for Blood, for I am assuming, Bloodthirsty.
Not exactly original but there is something to said for teams that adopt their university's logo. Actually, I am not even sure if this is even their logo but considering their jerseys are the same colors, and they don't seem to have any other logos out there, I am gonna go with this one.

I like this one a lot. It is probably one of the most recognizable logos in ultimate and it is really freaking old. I am not sure how long they have had it but Nord wore it back in 2001 and now it is on his calf. I wouldn't be surprised if this sucker won.

Oregon
I like Oregon's logo a lot, despite the fact that I have seen folks wear it as they walked triumphantly away from my alma mater on more than one occasion. the symmetry is nice in a Dan Brown sort of way. I really like how they blended their team name and their logo.

Georgia
I am not exactly sure how I feel about this one. I love Georgia's team name. It's one of those that you don't get till you read it out load. I suppose the logo is pretty tight in a genie coming out of a lamp sort of way.

Texas
I like this logo almost as much as I hate Texas' side line cheer. What is more annoying that that "Texas Texas, YEE-HA!". At least they have their pride. The integration of the team name with the long horn symbol is pretty clever. I hear the tattoo of this sucker is a curse though.

North Carolina
This one looks really great on their jerseys. I really actually do like this team despite screwing the name up and calling them "dark star" in a previous post, my bad. I hope their recent success will continue and get this logo on the field in the later rounds this May.

Pitt
Not sure how I feel about this one. It is a bit complicated but nicely artistic. Apparently En Sabah Nur is Apocalypse's real name so maybe there is something to be said about the human form and the end of the world.

Kansas
I think their name is definitely unique but I do mistake them for Georgia, Stanford or Harvard from far away. I suppose a lot of teams like the red and white, just like New England Clam Chowder.

Ohio State
Apparently, Lead Belly was a folk singer in the first half of the 1900's. I am not sure why Ohio State named their team after him, I am sure for a very good reason. Hopefully his blues singing ability comes in handy after the SEC sends the Buckeyes packing....too soon?

Indiana
Once again, there is something to be said about taking your university's logo. I suppose I hated UCSD so I liked being an Air Squid over some fruity under water god. Way to win your region and earn that 1st bid to nationals.

Brown
I like Brown's newer logo. I think the circular nature of the fish has something to do with Brownian Motion. I don't think I will ever be smart enough to know what the hell that even is. Is there a team out there with a more intelligent team name? I am glad they changed their logo from just "BROWN" but they did do pretty well in those old threads.

Williams
I like this logo, but I am not crazy about their colors. I will say that the blending of the characters in their team name as well as the purple mountains are pretty sweet. Go to Purple Valley if you ever get the chance, it's a good time.

Delaware
I like Delaware and their creepy John Wayne Gacy kinda look, definitely appeals to my darker side. I can't say enough about their win over Florida. I think that win did more for the Metro East than all the ME pride posts on RSD ever could. I won't let folks forget, Cuoco.


Anyway, those are the 16 team logos. I like doing stuff like this. I think I will do more in the future with Women's and club teams. Lets see how this goes. I think my top 3 would be Carleton, Wisconsin, and Oregon. Feel free to vote as many times as you want or post links to logos that you think are better.

just my thoughts

match diesel

19 comments:

MCJoaqabout said...

This:
http://thetworivers.com/brains/gallery/albums/album19/brainorange2.gif
is awesome.

pbgipper said...

For the record, in 1995 we needed a team name and someone was taking a music appreciation class. Leadbelly showed up in the book and we thought it was cool. Thus, the team name. His music is pretty good. Very old school blues. Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter was pardoned for murder. Twice! Once in Texas and once in Louisiana. In Texas, it was a song written for the Governor that won his freedom. In Louisiana, John and Alan Lomax discovered him in Angola Prison and persuaded the Governor to set him free. Seemed like a pretty good ethos for us at the time.

Hh said...

To give credit where it is due, among his many other talents, Wisconsin alum and sockeye standout Will Henry is a gifted artist, and designed the logo that so many Hodags have tattooed on their skin.

Unknown said...

that is not Indiana's logo. it is a question mark of sorts...

Kyle Weisbrod said...

That "new" Brown logo has in fact been around for over 10 years. It doesn't always appear on jerseys, but did in 2001, 2002,and 2003 before the recent comeback. It's been on other Brown Ultimate related merchandise since at least 1996.

The fish has nothing to do with the team name but rather an amusing story about some pre-frosh who attended a party, won some goldfish, dumped them in a fountain, and when they started school in the fall (and started playing Ultimate) they saw that the goldfish had grown to be very large. This all happened in the early 90's. And is why the alums at tournaments are known as the hellfish.

Adam said...

http://frisbee.union.rpi.edu/images/index_01.gif

Match said...

I guess blogspot doesn't like me posting pictures. Sorry guys, you'll have to check out the links yourself.

shwu said...

Match, any love for women's teams out there? I realize you're more familiar with the men's side of the game, but I'm sure there are some women's team logos worthy of a shot in the polls.

Match said...

"I like doing stuff like this. I think I will do more in the future with Women's and club teams. Lets see how this goes."

Grant said...

Here's a couple of logos from Oregon-B for past couple of years.

2006
http://itsmetim.com/fashion/hate1.jpg

2007
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/heironymus/lovetest.gif

2008
TBD

W said...

Indiana Men's Logo

http://www.indiana.edu/~ultimate/hoosiermama/images/question.jpg

Matt said...

The texas tattoo curse is actually the circle longhorn you see on the back of the Texas jerseys. As one of the sad recipients of said curse, I am all too familiar with it. 3 tattoos on 3 legs and 2 acl tears and one broken leg within a year. ouch.

Match said...

I went with the Indiana logo on their jerseys.

Isn't that why Tank didn't get the tattoo?

Greenough #99 said...

Markus Brown gets credit for the actual EGO logo. Joe Kleffner gets drunken credit for the team name (email rant I think) but one never knows how these things come about.

The Stanford chinese character is "Blood" as far as I know but then again those guys are usually smarter than me so it might be some big joke.

bl said...

Justin Grishkin of Oregon designed the Ego logo in 2002, for the record.

Becky said...

I like the central domination in the poll

Unknown said...

I wish there were more campaigning for certain school's logos here and on rsd.

It was all a Dream said...

tufts logo:
http://www.tuftsemen.org/

It was all a Dream said...

tufts logo:
http://www.tuftsemen.org/