CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

College Nationals Cancelled

According to a variety of sources, CSTV/CBS has decided to eliminate ultimate from their college nationals showcase this May in Boulder, Colorado. Apparently circulating stories of drug usage, sexual misconduct, and vandalism have raised the insurance liability beyond the limits CBS was willing to accommodate. I just got off the phone with Chim Richalds, head media liaison with the UPA, and he told me that the UPA was absolutely shocked with this decision.

In pleading their case, the UPA discussed the recent "cleaning up" of the sport and how the roots of ultimate may lie with hippies and stoners, but the game now represents some of the best minds in the country with quality competition and sportsmanship. CBS has agreed to allow the UPA to petition Repressive Insurance, but they have also informed the heads of our leadership organization that petitions of this nature are rarely successful

Damage control is now in affect and the heads of the UPA are asking colleges and major sports complexes around the country if they would be willing to host the event. So far the places that have expressed the most interest are Kenabumport, ME, Flagstaff, AZ, and Virginia, MN. I wonder what sort of regional dis/advantage teams will have if any of these places are selected. In any event, dozens of college kids and fans are going to have to change their plane tickets and hopefully a decision is made sooner rather than later.

I have begun emailing and interviewing students from a variety of schools across the country and I have not been surprised with their responses. I asked Danish what he thought and he just said, "We gotta roll with the punches. Things like this happen and it sucks, but I am sure the UPA will figure something out". I managed to track down Kirk Gibson, and all he had to say was, "Why are you asking me about ultimate...what? Frisbee? Why would I care?".

I think the UPA is fully capable of handling this situation. I can remember back in 2001 when the people in Devens, MA wanted to back out of Nationals because of a conflicting dance competition. However, Mike Pain and Walt Deaver threatened to post negative things about them on RSD and they quickly backed down. I see a similar situation arising here but I think the UPA is going to be more diplomatic about the situation this time and give CSTV poor spirit scores and raise awareness about Repressive Insurance's cold business practices in the hopes that big corporations won't succeed in a capitalist society.

One person that I think is the most disappointed with this situation is Theodore Roosevelt. Yes, the kid has the same name as the former president, but he is an emerging sophmore at the University of Texas, El Paso (UTEP), and he was so excited about going to his first nationals in Boulder where he could spend time with his brother Franklin who is a senior at CU and watch his favorite sport. Sadly, after hearing this news he developed malignant melanoma and will have to spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair.

In my research concerning this issue, I talked to Bob. Despite being my uncle, he was surprisingly ignorant concerning this ultimate problem but he shared his opinion with me anyway.

You guys should just focus on having a good time. You are young and in college. You have the rest of your lives to have responsibility and problems. Don't waste your youth worrying about stuff that doesn't matter yet. If I could go back, believe me, I wouldn't be spending my time trying to save the world or make money. I would just get hammered and find some females.

This crisis is definitely surmountable and I think the powers that be will take care of us flatballers. I will be right there when the story breaks though, so stay tuned for more information. Enjoy your April 1st, I know I will.

just my thoughts

match diesel

4 comments:

Jess said...

April Fools?

Unknown said...

Funny. Like your face!

David S said...

Wow, I really feel like I'm out of the loop, which is a bit disappointing.

~Dave Samuels
TD, 2008 UPA College Championships

Match said...

wow, my first SPAM message.

I am so proud.