CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sarasota Thoughts

So I've decided to break my silence and toss out some spittle for the coming Florida showdown. Here are my NE Regionals perspectives and some overall thoughts and possible seedings.

I had the pleasure of actually being at this regional tournament and despite the fact that it wasn't as exciting as a year ago, it was still pretty legit. A lot of folks are talking about how good Boston is and they are absolutely right. They took the Northeast like no other team took their region and they did it without some popular standouts. George Stubbs wasn't in attendance and neither was Kurt Gibson. Will Neff told me Stubbs was out of town and I get the feeling Ironside didn't need Gibson to make the trip from Dallas, but I still think his presence would have been nice considering he didn't play at Labor Day. No one managed to get more than 8 on Boston all weekend and with their star studded '08 roster, I'm not surprised. It is a bit weird seeing guys like Holzer and Jeff Graham embrace teammates like Seigs and Josh McCarthy, but winning is the common denominator and they all want to bring gold back to the Northeast.

The only major weakness I can see for this team will be late Sarasota experience. Forch and Doug Moore won a title a decade ago, Teddy and Jasper have been there in Mixed, and there are a bunch of relics from Boston's last semis romp in 2005, but for the most part, teams like Bravo and Sockeye have a major advantage of simply having played in semis or better the last few years. Getting through quarters and onto semis in the same day will be a challenge and while Boston's scores at Regionals are impressive, they have such a mental edge on the rest of the region. Such a mental edge will be on the side of Bravo, Sockeye and maybe even Jam in two weeks and Boston will need to play their best if they want to make the performance leap of losing in quarters to making Finals.

Then again, having such an arsenal of experience from all walks of the sport really has been the boost Boston has needed. Teddy and Jasper's flair, Goldstein's leadership, Will's talent, Stubbs' athleticism, Trey and Dan Patiestas' experience, Ryan Todd and Paul Batten's speed, C-Mo's size and the presence of Jeff Graham and Danny Clark are all things Boston either didn't have or hadn't utilized fully a year ago. Last year's Boston Ultimate was an unleashed pit bull of talent but another year of training and focus has turned them into a fearless merchant of death.

As for the second team out of the Northeast, GOAT had a very expected performance. Their biggest game was probably their first contest against Bodhi and they didn't disappoint. The young guns really wanted to take out Toronto, and given their 10-12 loss at BI, they were close. However, GOAT really showed why they made semis last year and crushed Bodhi with a vengeance. Despite John Hassell having a broken thumb, GOAT's height really proved to be the determining factor. Top to bottom, Bodhi really struggled to get a good matchup and while guys like Miles, Pat Roberts, Frogger, and Upton are big, they just didn't seem to command the vertical space that GOAT does. Ouchterlony, Link, Anatoly and the rest of their mammoth team just get it done downfield and their experience within their own program as well as abroad will make them a 2-1 favorite in pool play at Natties. Eric St Amant was on clip board duty and I'm not sure if he will be playing in Florida, but either way they should have the personal to make their presence felt.

As for Bodhi, I really love watching these guys play. Everything from their cheers, to their jerseys, to their overall group mentality is really awesome to witness. They remind me a lot of Revolver in the sense that they have a ton of young talent led by some really solid veterans. However, unlike Jam, Ironside seems to have a very close relationship with Bodhi and I wonder how the future of Boston Ultimate will be organized. Setting up a farm system in Bodhi would be nice for Ironside, but I doubt guys like Andrew Hollingworth would want to play second fiddle to anyone (congrats on making Natties by the way, I know how much you wanted it).

I only caught their 3/4 game against PoNY and this was all it was cracked up to be. After taking out PoNY twice, this game was really the final showdown and PoNY looked as if they could avenge their performance woes. They had a 10-8 lead late in the game, but Bodhi's defense was insatiable. They played every cutter as tight as a prom night virgin and it was only matter of time before a turn came.

One thing that really seemed to be an issue for PoNY was how dependent they were on Seth Crockford. Yes Seth has a few rings with Sockeye but seeing him command their O-line the way Bailey Russell should have was frustrating. Seth was a D-line handler for Sockeye and he seems to take a few chances that PoNY wishes he wouldn't. He had a poor hammer turnover late in this game and while he got the D back, I think Bailey's experience and poise would have been a better offensive weapon. They just couldn't score when it mattered and despite having more than a few opportunities on DGP, they continued to show their lack of composure and conceded the hat trick to Bodhi.

They are Sarasota bound however, and that is all that matters. Sons of Liberty are a decent team mainly because they have a lot of experience with each other as New Noise and Red-Line but PoNY held their own. I was impressed that SOL had the depth to play so late into Regionals and they had a 7-6 lead at one point but PoNY wanted this game and they showed why they had the gumption to take out Boston and scare the crap out of Sockeye. But then again, we took them to 14-16 so either they are very beatable or we are just bad ass. I'll take the later.

Seedings
As for seeds, this is a really tough call. Chain really didn't help their cause by falling to Doublewide but judging by their performances in previous years, a 3 seed won't limit them too much. Revolver also presents an interesting problem. They took 2nd out of the NW but that title doesn't bring the clout it once did. They only beat PoNY, Condors, and GOAT at Labor Day and a loss to Chain also doesn't help. They do have a win over Sub-Zero but I think their loss to Ring is an issue because Ring is top dog in their region and Revolver isn't. Doublewide, the Condors, GOAT, Jam, Truck Stop, and Sub-Zero also have claims to decent seeds but not everyone can be a 1/2 seed so we'll just have to wait and see what the TD comes up with. Here are my seedings.

1) Sockeye
2) Bravo
3) Ironside
4) Ring - Won Regionals, beat Bravo at Chesapeake, took JB to DGP at Labor Day, beat Revolver and Chain at Labor Day
5) Revolver - Took 2nd in a tough region, went at least .500 or better at every tournament (7), avenged sectionals loss to Jam, wins over Doublewide, Sub-Zero, and GOAT
6) Sub-Zero - Took Region, rebounded from Chesapeake and went 2-2 in a TOUGH Labor Day pool, took chances and won Heavyweights, swept series.
7) Doublewide - Yes I know this is probably the most controversial placement but I'm having a tough time with Chain's loss. They put together a great season but they lost down the stretch. DW had DGP showings against Sockeye and Bravo and their universe win over Chain is a big deal. However, I wonder if this high seed will seat them at a table they aren't prepared for.
8) Chain - Won Chesapeake and Heatout. Went 5-2 at Labor Day and their only blemish is a loss to Doublewide
9) GOAT - This is a tough call because GOAT lost to the Condors at Labor Day and I have them seeded above them. However, they owned Ring this year with wins at Labor Day and Chesapeake but I believe Ring has earned a 1 seed status because they took their region and they beat Bravo, Revolver and Chain.
10) Condors - This is also a dicey spot but the thing that has stuck out for me with regard to Santa Barbara is their 2-1 record against Jam. The SF boys are probably looking at a top 10ish seed but they lost to the Condors at Cal States and Colorado Cup. Losing at one tournament, ok no big deal, but two different tournaments? Sorry Jam; Husak, Steets and Namkung deserve to be below their former teammates. They do have a late season win over GOAT, but I think this still puts them below Toronto because the Goleta Group was less than stellar at Sockeye Invite, Colorado Cup, and Labor Day.
11) Jam - It is weird seeing Jam so low on the totem pole, but this is about as high as I can get them. Their preseason wins against Doublewide and Revolver are both erased because of Chain's loss to DW and Jam losing to Revolver at Regionals. The Condors definitely got the better of them and while they did beat Sub-Zero, I think a Regional winner is more deserving than the 3 seed out of a region that is not as dominant as it once was.
12) Truck Stop - These guys have definitely had an up and down year but I think this is as good a seed as they can get. For me, the most impressive thing about Truck Stop is that they went to Colorado. Machine is right there with them at this spot but Machine didn't make the trek and the DC crowd went and got wins against Revolver, Doublewide and Jam, not to mention a universe game against Bravo in the Finals. Their Labor Day performance really hurts them however and this is about as high a seed as they deserve.
13) Machine - A win over SZ at Chesapeake is nice, but they lost to them at Heavyweights and Regioanls. Wins over Bodhi, PoNY and SOL make the best 4th seed but its about as good as they can expect.
14) Bodhi - Put together an awesome freshman year with great showings at every tournament they played at. I feel bad for them because they got screwed by TD's all year with tough seeds at Boston Invite and Chesapeake, not to mention having to watch their biggest challenge get bids to Sockeye Invite and Labor Day. I wish their wins against Ring and Truck Stop mattered more but their Heavyweights performance reaffirmed their "New Kid" status. I think they'll get bids to the best tournaments next year and should just be happy to be at Nationals.
15) Pony - Another team that has a few big wins that just didn't precipitate to a good seed at Nationals. Beating Ironside and DW at Labor Day was great, but Series record matters a lot more and a 4th place finish just doesn't get you much in the realm of Nationals seeding. An 0-3 record against Bodhi is a major black eye for the New York crowd but at the very least, if they are better than this, they will have many chances to prove it.
16) El Diablo - Don't know much about these guys outside their record. They haven't played any other National qualifier outside Chain since July so I think a 16 seed is a well deserved spot. Prove me wrong.

I'm not going to go into pools and all that jazz mainly because these seedings will probably not be perfect and I didn't take regional rematches into account. This is just what I think thus far.

Closing Thoughts
I have been somewhat quiet the last few weeks for a variety of reasons and I'm sorry if I haven't brought the dialog that some folks have come to expect. I really love to write but my original goal was not to become the best writer in ultimate. My original goal (and this is one I have had for many years) was to be a part of Furious winning gold. I knew I would never play with them, but I wanted to be associated with it somehow. In developing my journalism career, I was able to establish the reputation to get close to the right people to put me in the seat I filled in Vancouver. I also like to think I played a small part (unintentionally) in setting up Team USA to be the over confident entity that they were in Vancouver and commentating the finals was a nice little bonus.

In addition, I also wanted to be asked to write the Club Open Preview for the UPA magazine and I got that. For me this was a big honor because it meant that the most important organization in the game recognized my skill and passion and regardless of what others might think of my writing, I got the chance to have my voice heard. Despite what folks may say about the UPA magazine, no writer in this sport would turn down this opportunity. This honor only goes to very prominent people in this sport and it was nice to be included in this little club.

Lastly, I wanted to be asked to attend Nationals. Having Furious go down at Regionals was tough on me, but it allowed me to relax a little bit because I knew that if I didn't make it Florida, it wasn't the end of the world, my boys weren't gonna be their anyway. However, part of me still wanted to go to Sarasota but rather than just go like I did to Centex, Nationals, and Worlds, I wanted to be asked. As luck would have it, I got a phone call from a prominent media entity last week who wants to employ my services for UPAs and I think I will oblige.

In the end, for me life is not about winning or losing but about getting what you want. I wanted these things and my writing has been a medium for me to achieve them. However, now I have a new set of goals that doesn't necessarily revolve around my online alter ego and that is where my focus has been. My graduate work is incredibly challenging and while I have put in the hours, my mental commitment is not what it could be and I'd like to free up my mind to see what I can come up with in the science world.

In addition, I want to step up my personal game by taking better care of myself. I've been injured since April which has allowed me to focus less on the playing aspect of ultimate and more on the observation. However, now that I am almost recovered from my Jones Fracture (sorry Muffin, I know your pain) I want to step up my commitment to my playing self. In order to do this I've decided to give up alcohol and for the last month or so things have been going really well. My new girl friend has been very supportive and I like where things are going. Check back in a few months and maybe I'll have the six pack I've always wanted.

In any event, I hope you readers have enjoyed my spittle over the last year or so. I'm not saying I'm done, but I don't know what the future holds. There will always be great stories in this game and I hope my example has shown the passionate people out there that all you need to make a name for yourself is the will and commitment to do so. I never was and probably never will be a dominant player but I like to think I've made my presence felt. Anyone can do it and I really look forward to the day when someone else actually does.

just my thoughts

match diesel

11 comments:

The Pulse said...

I hope you remember that I called it about Furious ...

Monstro said...

Match, I really want to thank you for contributing so much to a sport I've recently found and loved. I don't know if anyone could ever match up to the amount of work you've put into your coverage.
- Monstro
Shockers up homey

Carl Peaslee said...

1. I think you should tone down the "I have so many haters but I'm just going to keep on trucking because I'm a strong independent woman and I just feel so vindicated by this or that" kind of sub theme you have going on in your blog. It makes you sound kind of emo.

2. Talk about Cultimates Conference1. What are your thoughts?

3. Your fire-blog-badass-theme is really lame. Seriously, it hurts my eyes and sucks. I know this is old, but this is the first time I've really posted on this website so i thought I'd bring it up.

4. I actually like your blog but for some reason I'm just spittin' the hatorade tonight. keep writing.

Match said...

1) If you knew me in real life you'd know I am really emo, thats not going to change

2) I just found out about this last night like everyone else. I may comment, I may not, I haven't formalized my opinion yet. I will say that if I had been organizing it, I would have discussed the idea with teams fully well before I announced it to the public.

3) Ha, the flames have always been a point of contention and truth be told, I feel bad for some readers because my preview screen is easier to read. However, it is all part of my flair and the more people tell me to get rid of them, the more I want to keep them. You want them gone? Show me an alternative.

Andy said...

Bodhi is a bunch of current/recent New England college players and lots of Ironside guys were their coaches. Their relationship isn't that surprising.

Match said...

That is definitely the case, but things have a tendency to change over time. Take Mike Payne for example. he started Jam then Revolver and now the power struggle has shifted. Same with Greenough. Plays with Jam as late as the '05 but gets cut during the Justice League days only to move to Revolver and now is a part of the better team.

The closest parallel I can draw is Sockeye/Voodoo but because Bodhi is making Nationals and Voodoo still has a long way to go, I don't think the joint combine will necessarily be ideal. However I could be wrong. Their has been a prominent history of power struggles in Boston with teams like Boss Hogg and Twisted Metal coming and going and while I think Bodhi can remain competitive as long as they wish, having a solid relationship with the top dog might be a good strategy in keeping the team in existence.

But as I have learned, egos are everywhere and they bruise easily. No one likes to be second best when they think they could be #1. When push comes to shove, Bodhi players need to ask themselves, "Do we want to play for Boston or do we want to beat them?". This will be the root of their motivation and depending on the answer, Bodhi may or may not be around in 5 years.

Handy said...

Match, I've enjoyed reading your "spittle" and as you know, love a good debate about all things ultimate. I know that you won't respond to this, because somewhere along the line you decided to ignore, but that's ok.

In any event:

Your assessment that the NW has fallen off seems to be based in only the fact that (a) Boston is really good and (b) Your favorite team didn't make it. Do you really think that it's weaker when the team that won worlds (granted, with extras) gets bounced at regionals?

"I also like to think I played a small part (unintentionally) in setting up Team USA to be the over confident entity that they were in Vancouver"

This last quote, along with much of that section, I wouldn't categorize as "emo" but I would certainly introduce the word "hubris." Even for someone as brash as yourself that's a little over the top.

Match said...

I think the weakness of the NW has less to do with Furious and Sockeye and more to do with Jam and Revolver. I have always said that Furious gets up when they want to get up and I don't think they were passionate about the series this year. I had a feeling they would go down and I was right.

However, with respect to Revolver and Jam, players have jumped from one team to the other. A semis team has gone from semis to not making nationals back to semis and now 3rd out of a region. Revoler has little Nationals experience and for a team that knocked off a semis team last year, I have doubts that we will see more than 1 NW team in semis this year. To me that sounds like evidence that the NW is not what it was. I also tend to think that college and club are coupled and seeing the NW get pwned this year in college is an indication that club is not far off.

And as for my other comments, it is how I genuinley feel. This is my blog and I am going to say what I believe. I was there at Worlds, I followed Sockeye all year, I spoke with players, I did the leg work. It is how I genuinely feel. If folks think I'm full of shit, I'm sorry, but when you watch the UVTV of Canada vs USA, my voice is in the background for a reason and no matter how much you hate on me, you can't do anything about it.

And to be honest handy, I've captained teams, developed a journalism career, been paid/requested for work, and been recognized by the UPA and Cultimate. Point to something in this Ultimate community that is yours and no one elses. What have you done to stand on? And when you point that out, let me look through it with a magnifying glass and see if I can find anything to criticize. I like your commentary but frankly, you're small potatoes.

Yaacov said...

Match, it's not just the haters that are crying "hubris!" these days. It's the fans as well. I like when you write about Ultimate. I get bored when you write about how great you are. I'm not going to tell you how to run your blog, but I'll tell you that I used to really like it, and now I only really like parts of it. You do with that what you will.

Match said...

Great criticism and I really appreciate it. I routinely ask myself if/when my head will get too big and I need reality checks like this. I suppose my efforts at talking myself up are so prominent because I try really hard not to attack others. If I can make people like me more rather than like others less, I think I can sleep at night.

Take what you want from my words, I think I will write better and less often in order to work on more of a quality (rather than quality) based blog.

Match said...

I'm retarded. Quality over quantity.